Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
The Illustrated London News 1883
Scilly Isles Sketches 1883
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
- Paul Kruger elected President of the The Transvaal
Victoria Hall Disaster, Sunderland also in ILN 23rd June edition 200 children crushed to death
- The Volcano Krakatoa erupts
- Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island is published in book
- Karl Marx dies, aged 65
- Edouard Manet dies, aged 50
- In the Sudan the Mahdi defeats Hicks Pasha and General
Gordon is sent for.
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2016 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
snippets from January to June
- Fall of a Factory Chimney at Bradford - Rescue of the Boy David Brewer,
- The Kimberly Water Works Diamond Fields South Africa,
- Fall of a Factory Chimney at Bradford - Searching for the Dead by Electric
- Pantomimes at the London Theatre,
- Boundary Between the Provinces of Shan-si and Pe-chi-li North China ,
- Sketches in Cairo,
- M. Gambetta Proclaiming the Republic in Front of the Palace,
- The Late M. Gambetta ,
- Christmas Day Entertainment to the Troops at Port Said ,
- Funeral of M. Gambetta
- Juvenile Fancy Dress Ball at the Mansion House,
- Holiday Entertainments - Artists Notes at Henglers Circus,
- Bones of Extinct Animals Found at Charing Cross,
- Collision Between the Steam
Ship City of Brussels and the Steam Ship Kirby Hall ,
- Games of the Highland
Brigade at Cairo,
- Ruins of the Fire at Kingston Jamaica, The West End Hospital
for Paralysis and Epilepsy Welbeck Street, Inundations of the Danube in Austria
and Hungary, Sketches in Madagascar, Hanging Pictures at the Exhibition of
the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colors, Inundation of the Rhine in
Hesse Darmstadt, Peterborough Cathedral - Preparations for Pulling the Central
Tower, Fancy Dress Ball at the Mansion House, Mr. Gladstone’s Retirement
- Sketches in the Neighbourhood of Cannes, The Conspiracy to Murder Government
Officials in Dublin - Twenty Prisoners at the Police Court , The Envoys From
the Queen of Madagascar , The Kennel Club Dog Show at the Crystal Palace,
Sketches in Laos Upper Siam, Sanctuary (dogs), A Game at Dominoes, The Silver
Wedding at Berlin - Sketches by Our Special Artist, State of Ireland - Emergency
Men Conveying Boycotted Goods to Thurles Railway Station , Funeral Service
for the Late King Charles of Prussia, The Mayors Fancy Dress Ball at the Liverpool
Town Hall, The Proposed Manchester Ship Canal , The Chateau de Chantilly Near
Paris, Examination at Kilmainham Court House on Saturday Last of Prisoners
Charged with Complicity in the Phoenix Park Murders , The Marquis of Bute
Commencing the Works of the New Docks at Cardiff, Sketches at the Royal Victoria
Coffee Hall, Sketches of St. Raphael Near Cannes, Christchurch Cathedral Dublin
Restorations, The Phoenix Park Murders - Sketches in Kilmainham Court House
Dublin, Bermuda - the Winter Home of Princess Louise, Fancy Dress Ball at
the Royal Albert Hall, Fifty Years of a Statesman’s Life - Gladstone
, Mr. And Mrs Gladstone - from a photograph, The Silver Wedding at Berlin
- Gifts to the Crown Prince and Princess of Germany on View at Their Palace,
Floods in the Thames Valley, The Floods at Salisbury, The Highland Ball, The
Phoenix Park Murders - James Carey in the Witness Chair, The Late Richard
Wagner , The Canary and Cage Bird Show at the Crystal Palace, Searching for
the Assassins Knives in the Basin of the Canal Dock at Dublin , The State
of Ireland - Earl Spencer the Lord Lieutenant Leaving Dublin Castle With His
Escort , The Wreck of the Minotaur - From the Picture by J.M.W. Turner , Sketches
in the House of Commons, To the Far West - Sketches of the Journey With the
Marquis of Lorne and Princess Louise, Sketches in Cairo, Sketches in Dublin
Connected with the Murder Conspiracy, Lecture on the Egyptian War by Mr. Melton
Price Before the Prince of Wales, Selection From the Exhibition of Works of
the Late H. K. Browne at Liverpool, Silver Wedding Celebration at Berlin -
Four Generations of the House of Hohenzollern, Sketches in the Ourghemma Southern
Tunis, Removal of the Wellington Statue Hyde Park, Cart Horse Show at the
Agricultural Hall, Sketches in British Columbia, Sketches in Egypt - Serpent
Charmers, Princess Beatrice Presenting Prizes to the Students of the Bloomsbury
Female School of Art, Treat to the Children Engaged in the Pantomime at Drury
Lane Theatre, Frosty Sketches Out of Season, Electric Tram Way Car Tried on
the West Metropolitan Tramway Line at New Bridge , The Attock Railway Bridge
Over the Indus - Views Showing the Progress of the Construction, The Inter-University
Boat Race - Oxford 1888 & Cambridge 1888 (2 page - individual portraits
on blue backgrounds), The Attempt to Blow Up Government Offices at Westminster,
Offices Commanding at the Brighton Volunteer Review, The Easter Monday Volunteer
Review - The Hon. Artillery Company on the March to Brighton , The Princess
of Wales Distributing Prizes to the Pupils of the Girls Public Day Schools
at the Royal Albert Hall, The University Boat Race, The Easter Monday Volunteer
Review - On the March to Brighton, Springtime - Visit to the Shepherd, Rude
Stone Monuments in Moar, The Attempt to Blow Up Government Offices in Charles
Street Westminster (2 page vertical), The Brighton Review - Preparing to Ascend
in a Balloon to View the Battle, Brighton Review - Sketches by Our Special
Artist, Brighton Review - The Battlefield Viewed From a Balloon , Round About
Canterbury, Sketches in Canterbury Cathedral, Sketches in Canterbury, Installation
of the New Archbishop in Canterbury Cathedral - the Archbishop Seated in the
Marble Chair, Coronation of the King and Queen of the Sandwich Islands Hawaii
, Procession Conducting the New Archbishop Into Canterbury Cathedral, Enthronement
of the New Archbishop of Canterbury in Canterbury Cathedral , The Raphael
Commemoration at Rome - Visiting the Tomb of Raphael in the Pantheon, Sketches
From Esmeralda the New Opera at Drury Lane Theatre, Reminiscences of the Easter
Monday Review - Sketches on the March to Brighton , The Raphael Commemoration
at Rome, The Fenian Dynamite Plot in England - the Secret Factory of Nitro
Glycerine in Ledsam Street Birmingham, The Fenian Dynamite Conspiracy in England,
The Phoenix Park Murder Trials in Dublin , What Can Be Done With Wild Horses
- Sketches at the Royal Aquarium Westminster, Phoenix Park Murder Trials -
Prisoners Brought to Kilmainham Jail, Sketches in Bechuana Land and the Matebele
Country on the Transvaal Frontier, Sketches From "The Silver King"
at the Princess’ Theatre, Phoenix Park Murder Trials at Dublin - Sketches
in Court , Amateur Theatricals of the Royal Naval Artillery Volunteers on
Board HMS Rainbow on the Thames, Musicians of the Soudan Performing at an
Arab Coffee House in Old Cairo, The International Fisheries Exhibition General
View, Unveiling the Statue of Lord Beaconsfield at Westminster, Sketches in
New Guinea, Grand Military Assault at Arms at the Royal Albert Hall for the
Benefit of the Egyptian War Fund, A Floral Painter Miss Marianne North in
South Africa, La Cross Match Played Last Saturday at Kennington Oval , Toilers
of the Sea Trawling on the Dogger Bank , Port Lyttleton New Zealand With the
Entrance to the New Graving Dock, The Institute of Painters in Water Colours
, Natives of York Island New Guinea in a Canoe , Sketches in the International
Fisheries Exhibition, A Game at Cribbage, Sketches at the International Chess
Tournament, Sketches From "Storm Beaten" at the Adelphi Theatre,
Interior of the Cathedral Church of the Assumption in the Kremlin at Moscow,
Sketches in Tunis, Christchurch Cathedral Oxford , Prince of Wales Laying
the Memorial Stone at the Indian Institute at Oxford, Royal Canoe Club Race
for the Challenge Cup at the Welsh Harp Hendon, Our Fishing Industries - Pilchard
Shining in Cornwall, Oyster Dredging at Whitstable, Irish Distress - Gathering
Sea Weed for Food on the Coast of Clare, New Associates of the Royal Academy,
Some Living French Painters, Opening of the International Fisheries Exhibition
by the Prince of Wales, Sketches at the International Fisheries Exhibition,
Opening of the International Fisheries Exhibition - Royal Procession in the
Building, Incorporation of the Town of Croydon - Sketches of Croydon and Addington,
Mackerel Fishing at Eastbourne, Drift Net Fishing for Pilchards Off Cornwall,
Plan of the International Fisheries Exhibition, The Yarmouth Herring Fishery
, International Fisheries Exhibition - Boudoir in the Pavilion of the Prince
and Princess of Wales, Queen’s Birthday - a Sketch on the Horse Guards
Parade, Preparing for the Imperial Coronation at Moscow - Erecting Seats to
View the Procession , Moscow From the Kremlin , Alexander III Emperor of Russia
(portrait), The Empress of Russia (portrait), Derby Day - From the Landham
to Epsom, Imperial Coronation at Moscow - Sketches in the Kremlin , Russian
Imperial Regalia, Emperor and Empress of Russia Visiting the Shrine of the
Iberian Mother of God, Opening of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland,
Imperial Coronation at Russia (many), Sketches at the Rehearsal of the Greek
Play "The Tale of Troy" at Sir C.J. Freakes Residence, St. Blaise
Winner of the Derby , Moscow Cathedrals and Palaces With Illuminations, Brooklyn
Bridge Over the East River Between Long Island and New York, Imperial Coronation
at Moscow - The Emperor Crowning the Empress, Imperial Coronation at Moscow
- Churches, Coronation of Alexander III int eh Cathedral of the Assumption
in the Kremlin , The Goat Show at the Crystal Palace, Emperor and Empress
of Russia in Their Coronation Robes, Proclamations By the Heralds and Secretaries
of the Senate - Imperial Coronation , Prayer For the Emperor and Empress in
the Cathedral of the Assumption, Procession of the Emperor and Empress After
Being Crowned , Coronation Fetes at Moscow, Reception of Mr. John Bright at
Birmingham, The Right Hon. John Bright, Popular Fete in the Khodinsky Park
Moscow , Opening of the New York and Brooklyn Suspension Bridge, Sketches
at the Polo Pony Race at Burlingham, Emperor and Empress at the Grand Reception
in the Alexander Nevsky Hall of the Palace of the Kremlin , Imperial Coronation
- Princes of Central Asia Attending the Ceremony, Madame Adelina Patti Prima
Donna (color portrait), The Terrible Disaster at Sunderland - Two Hundred
Children Crushed to Death, Mr. W. Irving Bishop the "Thought Reader"
at St. James Hall, Mr. Bright at Birmingham - Mass Meeting in Bingley Hall
, Canadian Game of Lacrosse Played at Burlingham, Royal Thames Yacht Club
Amateur Sailing Match, Drift Net Fishery - Boxing Fleet of Trawlers in the
Distance , Emperor of Russia’s Marine Palace at Peterhof, Exhibition
of the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours , Disaster at Sunderland
- Funeral at Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, Drill Competition of the London Board
Schools Before the Prince and Princess of Wales at Buckhurst Hill, The Emperor
of Russia’s Palace at Peterhof, The Canadian Game of Lacrosse, Sketches
at Aldridges Horse Repository St. Martins Lane, La Giaconda at the Covent
Garden Theatre, Insurrection in Northern Albania - the Manner of Fighting,
Specimens of Irish Lace, etc., etc.
- frontispiece - Queen Victoria arriving at Florence station March 23rd a
sketch by Forestier
- Our Notebook by James Payn
- Mr Challemel-Lacour new president of the French Senate
- Obituary- Pictures of The Duke of Beford, Sir George Finlay, M. Vassili
Alexeieff, Major Averell Daniell
- Unveiling the Statue of Lord Beaconsfield at Westminster.
- Sketches in New Guinea; 1) Ethel Island, Port Moresby. 2) Entrance to Fairfax
Harbour. 3) Mabuiac. 4) Saibai Village. 5) Beginning of the Astrolabe Mountains.
6) Port moresby. 7) The Church from Badock, Darnley.
- Grand Military Assault at Arms at the Royal Albert Hall, for the benefit
ogf the Egyptian War Fund. Main sketch showing a Fire Escape Exercise.
A Rest by the Way by Davidson Knowles.
A Floral Painter, Miss Marianne North in South Africa.
New Gallery of Water Coulrs, Piccadillly.
Lacrosse Match at Kennington Oval. By North of England against South. Main
image - SACHS making a good pass. Plus smaller of A Archer, Captain of the
South. O Hockmeyer Capt for the North, & Excitement at the goal.
Sir T Spencer Wells. President, Royal college of Surgeons.
The Late Lord talbot de Malahide.
Sir R H Wyatt.
Passenger Steam Boat for Sydney Harbour
Masonic Female Ophan School of Ireland, Merrion road, Dublin.
Wesleyan Church and Schools, Malta Garrison.
Toilers of the Sea, trawling on Dogger Bank. 7 illustrations.
Port Lyttleton, New Zealand, with the netrance to the new graving dock.
The Institute of Painters in Water Colours. 14 paintings show.
- The Imperial Coronation at Moscow.
- Visiting the Shrine of the "Iberian Mother of God".
- The Late Dr William Chambers, of Edinburgh.
St Giles`s church, Edinburgh, restored by Dr Chambers (above)
Opening of the General Assmebly of the Church of Scotland.
Top Half: Entry of the Emperor into Moscow.
Cabinet of the Emperor at the Kremlin.
Russian Soldiers singing National Songs in Camp.
Sketches at the rehearsal of the Greek Play "The Tale of Troy" at
SIR C J Franklin`s residence, South Kensington.
The Late Dr W Farr.
The Late General Lord Rokery.
The Late Sir John McNeill GCB.
St Blaise, winner of the Derby.
The Imperial Coronation in Moscow, Cathedrals and palaces. 5 building represented.
Sketches at the International Fisheries Exhibition.
The Brooklyn Bridge over the East River, between Long Island and New York.
- The Terrible Disaster at Sunderland. 5 illustrations of the tragic death
of 200 children, crushed to death, Victoria Hall, The Staircase.
- Mr Bright at Birmingham. Reception at the Town hall.
Mr W Irving Bishop, The "Thought Reader" at St James`s Hall. A montage
of one of his shows. Occult interesting article on the reverse, Mass meeting
at Bingley Hall.
- The Canadian game of Lacrosse. Played at Hurligham. Superb illustrations
showing - Ross Mackenzie making a long throw, Aird, throwing a goal. A Pick
up. Captain Beers. McNaught, the Goal keeper. Smith, an active dodger. Iroqois
Indians. Bonnell making a catch. and the centeral figure of Big John in National
Dress. The Iriqois team is named in their translated names.
Royal Thames Yacht Club: Amateur Sailing Match.
Drift Net Fishery. An International set of illustrations featuring 4 x Norwegian
Yachts. 4 x Dogger or Hoekerschip. 4 x Blankenberghe. 4 x north Sea or Pink.
Plus a wide plan of how a drift net works.
The Exhibition of the Royal society of Painters in Water Colour. Works by,
birket foster, Tom Lloyd, Basil Bradley, Sir John Gilbert, Norman Tayler,
Walter Duncan, E K Johnson, Maria Harrison, Arthus Hopkins, Herbert M Marshall.
Regular articles will cover Obituaries, Wills & Bequests, The Church,
General reports, and Theatre.
July to December
- Christmas Cards (colour),
- Hoisting the British Flag in New Guinea,
- The Cholera in Egypt - Its Source and Cause,
- The Late General Sir W. Knollys,
- Dispute Between France and China - Examining and Packing Chinese Manufactured
- Garden Fete at Chelsea Hospital, Our Fishing Industries - Line Fishing for
- The Squire’s Favorite (2 page vertical),
- Trial of Life Saving Apparatus on the Serpentine Hyde Park ,
- Great Disaster at a Ship Launch on the Clyde - Sinking of the Daphne With
Two Hundred Men ,
- The Ben Nevin Summit Observatory, Royal Agricultural Society at York - General
View, The Savage Club Entertainment at the Royal Albert Hall, Some Costumes
at the Hall, Cholera in Egypt - Quarantine, Our Fishing Industries - Crab
Catching in Cornwall, Departure of Irish Emigrants at Clifden County Galway
, Jesmond Dene Public Park Newcastle on Tyne, The Suez Canal, The
Prince of Wales at York, Evening Fete at the International Fisheries Exhibition,
Sketches in Cairo, Suez Canal Question in Parliament, Shrimping at the Mouth
of the Thames , Section of the Bed of the North Sea Shewing the Fishing
Grounds, Captain Matthew Webb the Celebrated Swimmer, War Preparations in
China -Welding a Coil for a Great Gun at the Arsenal , The Death of
Captain Webb - the Whirlpool Rapids Niagara, Cholera in Cairo - People Leaving
Boulak, Death of Captain Webb - The Whirlpool in the Lower Rapids Niagara
, Sketches in Cairo - Harbor in Boulak, The Earthquake in Ischia,
A Sharp Shower in the Row Hyde Park (2 page - horses & riders), Excavations
Pithom Succoth, A Seaside Romance (2 page - small colour scenes), The Parcel
Post - sketches of the First Day, Sketches of the General Post Office, The
Great Earthquake at Ischia Bay of Naples , Varieties of the Tourist
Species, Cholera in Egypt - Inhabitants of Boulak Cairo Crowding into Barges
on the Nile , Foes or Friends (2 page - little girls in the woods
with deer), A Day in Town, A Day in the Country, The Earthquake in Ischia
(2 page of ruins), A Dutch Seaside Resort , Our Fishing Industries
- Spratting , The Marabout Sacred Lion Algiers , Duke and
Dutchess of Connaught Openingt he Peoples Park at Great Grimsby, Sketches
in the Scilly Isles, A Day’s Fishing on the Teign, The International
Fisheries Exhibition, Cholera in Egypt - Scene in the Courtyard of a House,
Holiday Sketches at Margate and Ramsgate , Water Polo, Sketches of
Tonquin and Lower Annam Cochin China , Holiday Ramblings in Scotland
(2 page vertical), Volcanic Eruptions in the Straits of Sunda, The Straits
of Sunda Java, Sport in North Devon - Trout Fishing and Otter Hunting, The
Zoological Society Gardens, Gloucester Cathedral , British Association
at Southport, Sketches From Ingomar at the Lyceum Theatre, Fountain at Cintra
Near Lisbon, Sketches of Deer Stalking , Traveling in North China
- An Easy Bit of Road in the Ku Kwan Pass , Fire at Cortachy Castle
Scotland, Sketches at the Crystal Palace Potato Show, Sketches in Upper Egypt,
Sketches in Canton, A Vendor of Oil and Vinegar Near Lisbon, Robber Life in
Hungary, From the Mersey to Ontario , Dryburge Abbey , Ruins
of the Rocket Storehouse After the Explosion at Woolwich Arsenal, A Chinese
Torpedo Corps , Sketches in Scotland Yard - The Metropolitan and Detective
Police , Sketches in Scotland Yard, Foreign Gun Boat Laid up in Winter
at Tien Tsin North China , Madame Marie Roze (colour portrait), Imperial
Crown Princess of German at the German Army Maneuvers, Sketches of the German
Army Maneuvers, Uncovering the Sir Francis Drake Statue at Tavistock, Dedication
of Burnham Beeches to the Public, Unveiling the German National Monument at
Rudescheim, Sketches on the Upper Nile - Phile, Round and About Burnham Beeches,
Strolling Acrobats , Alfonso XII King of Spain, Dedication of Burnham
Beeches to the Public, The Royal Visit to Huddersfield , Laying the
Foundation Stone of the New Municipal Building Glasgow, Criminal Museum at
the Convict Office Metropolitan Police, Sketches at the Apple Congress at
Chiswick, Young Marmozets Born in London , Sketches on the Canadian
Pacific Railway Line, Apple Gatherers and Cider Making in Devonshire, American
Fisheries - Shad Fishing on the Delaware, Sketches of Annam Cochin China,
Sketches of the Cat Show at the Crystal Palace, Herring Boats on Loch Fyne,
Prawn Fishing at Hastings, Hereford Cathedral , Prince Albert Victor
of Wales at Cambridge University, The Career of Sir Moses Montefiore, Luther
Made Prisoner by the Saxon Knights in the Forest of Thuringia to be Carried
in Disguise tot he Wartburg for his Safety , The Luther Celebration
in Germany (many), Cast of Luthers Face Taken After his Death , The
Luther Celebration of Four Centuries - Places Associated With the Life of
Luther , Luther Before the Diet at Worms 1521 , Sketches at
the Closing of the Fisheries Exhibition, The Luther Celebration in Germany
- Scene Outside the Schlosskirche , Sketches in Yellowstone Park North
America, Sketches at Drury Lane and the Adelphi, The Proposed Courts of Justice
Central Hotel Strand, Lord Mayors Day Procession Outside the New Law Courts,
A Vikings Tomb Lately Discovered Near Maidenhead, The Colliery Explosion Near
Accrington, Unveiling the Statue of Luther , The Yellowstone Park
North America, Sketches From "Young Folks Ways" at the St. James
Theatre, A Man Overboard , Sketches of the Insurrection in Servia,
The London Samaritan Society’s Distribution of Boots and Clothing to
Poor Children, Relics Found in the Viking Tomb at Taplow, Calais Old and New
With Canal Around the Town Now Under Construction , The Occupation
of New York by the American Troops Nov. 25 1783 , The Great Military
Disaster in the Soudan, Sketches of the Convict Prisons Dartmoor, Views of
John Brinsmead and Pianoforte Works London, The Trial of Patrick O’Donnell
at the Old Bailey for the Murder of James Carey, Sketches in the Soudan, Sketches
in the Soudan - the Defile of Haraza in Kordofan, "The Birds" of
Aristophanes Played at Cambridge University, The First Cataract of the Nile,
Illustrations of the Wild Tribes of the Soudan, Sketches in China - On Board
an Opium Hulk at Shanghai , The War in the Soudan - A Parley on the
Road , Sketches From "Claudian" the New Piece at the Princesses
Theatre, Bashi Bouzaks on the March - A Halt for Prayer, French in Cochin
China - Sketches of Hue, War in the Soudan - A Dervish , The Tower
of London Showing the White Tower After the Demolition of the Old Guards and
Offices, Sketches of the Tower of London , Sketches in the Armoury
and Museum of the Tower of London
- Surgeon general W G Hunter, Egypt.
- Mr John Marshall FRS, New President of the Royal College of Surgeons.
- View of Tamatave, Madagascar.
- Opening of the Homes for Little Boys at Swanley.
The Prince of Wales at York - 10 images.
Evening fete at the International Fisheries Exhibition.
Sketches in Cairo. Bedouin Camp, Street of Geb-el-Almar, Boatman`s cottage.
The Suez Canal Question in Parliament. 10 caricatures.
- Sketches in Nidderdale, Yorkshire. 7 small images. 1) Knaresborough
Castle. 2) Bridge over How Stean Beck. 3) Gorge of How Stean Beck. 4) Near
Goydon Pot Hole. 5) Gowthwaite Hall, where Eugene Adam Taught. 6) Guyscliffe
Tarn. 7) The Baboon`s Head, Brimham Rocks.
Gunning King Illustration for James Payn`s The Canons Ward.
Shrimping at the Mouth of the Thames. Showing 10 stages of the operation.
The International Fisheries Exhibition. A super page of illustrations showing
a cross section of the North Sea from Egger Oe, Norway to Yarmouth England.
Plus 6 types of vessel.
Captain Matthew Webb, The celebrated swimmer. Drowned on Tuesday last in his
attempt to swim the whirlpool rapids below Niagara Falls. With article.
War preparations in China - At the Arsenal, Shanghai, China.
The Cholera in Egyt - With a sanitary cordon of Mounted Constabulary.
48 Page Holiday Number. Story by Helen Mathers - EYRE`S AQUITTAL.
Miss Helen Mathers (Mrs Henry Reeves)
Pears Soap Advert.
July to December synopsis
July to December
- Colour Items
Madame Marie Rose, Prima Donna
A seaside romance - by John Dinsdale.
- Illustrated Articles, frequently with and single page illustrations.
Many of these articles are reported frequently throughout the volume.
The Savage Club Entertainment at the Royal Albert Hall
The Cholera in Egypt
Our Fishing Industries. A series of double and single page engravings, some
are listed below.
The Suez Canal
Capt Matthew Webb, portrait and obituary. Plus later article about his death
in Niagara Falls. With Double and single Page illustrations.
The Earthquake in Ischia, in the Bay of Naples. With 2 later excellent engraving.
The Zoological Gardens
The British Association at Southport.
Scotland Yard - Metropolitan Police.
The Luther Celebrations in Germany, incl double and single pages.
The Military in Soudan
Serialisation of the novel "The Canon`s Ward" by James Payn. Illustrated
by Gunning King
- Some of the numerous engravings, as follows.
Hoisting the British Flah in New Guinea
The Late General Sir W Knollys, Gentleman Usher of Black Rod
Sketches of the Ship Launch Disaster at Glasgow
Complimentary dinner to Mr Henry Irving
The Ben Nevis Summit Observatory.
The Royal Agricultural Society at York.
Crab Catching in Cornwall.
The Jesmond Dene Public Park, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Sketches in Nidderdale, Yorkshire.
The Parcel`s Post.
A day in Town
A day in the Country
Sketches in the Scilly Isles
An old school friend
A Day`s fishing on the Teign.
The Volcanic Eruption in the Straits of Sunda. Krakatoa.
Fountain at Cintra, near Lisbon.
Sketches of Peasant life in Hungary.
Sketches in Canton
Border sketches: Berwick upon Tweed.
Uncovering the Sir Francis Drake Statue at Tavistock.
Dedication of Burnham Beeches to the Public.
Sketches on the Upper Nile: Phile
A Cheering Gleam
Sketches on the Canadian Pacific Railway Line.
Apple gathering and Cider making in Devon.
American Fishing - Shad Fishing.
Herring Boats on Loch Fyne
Prawn fishing at Hastings.
Yellowstone Park in America. (2 )
At Drury Lane and Adelphi Theatres.
Sketches of Dartmoor Prison.
The Trial of Patrick O`Donnell.
The Dispute between France and China. The Arsenal at Shanghai
Our Fishing Industries: Fishing for cod.
The Great Ship Launch Disaster at Glasgow, sinking of The Daphne with 200
Departure of Irish Emigrants at Clifden, County Galway.
Shrimping at the Mouth of the Thames.
War preparations in China, the Arsenal at Shanghai
A sharp shower in Rotten Row.
Sketches of Tonquin and Lower Annam, Cochin, China
Holiday Rambles in Scotland.
Trout Fishing and Otter Hunting in North Devon.
Sketches of Highland Deer Stalking
Travelling in North China: The Ku Kwan Pass
From the Mersey to Ontario: 16 sketches of the journey.
Sketches in Scotland Yard -
The Royal Visit to Huddersfield.
Calais, old and new.
Sketches of the Tower of London.
- Art Engravings
The Squire`s Favourite by Heywood Hardy.
Foes or Friends by P R Morris
A Dutch seaside resort. By G H Boughton.
The Marabout (Sacred) Lion, Algiers by E Pavy.
Gloucester Cathedral by the Late S Read
Dryburgh Abbey by the Late S Read, very small tear to bottom of page.
Hereford Cathedral by the Late S Read
A Man Overboard by E M Cox
The Occupation of New York 1783.
Strolling Acrobats by H Gandy
The Master`s Daughter by S Berkley
Fishermen`s wives by W H Weatherhead.
- Art Single Page Engravings
In Memory by A Stocks
Fishermen`s wives by W H Weatherhead.
The Post Boy by P R Morris
Doubts by E F Brewtnall
Striking a Match by S G M`Cutheon
The King`s Highway by F Dadd
Portrait of a Woman by Emily Mitchell
Their Christmas Dinner - Turkey by Gunning King
Their Christmas Dinner - Goose by Gunning King
- Hoisting the British Flag in New Guinea: Mr H M Chester, Queensland Magisrate
calling for Cheers - (Front Page)
- The Chlera in Egypt: Its source and Cause. - Scene on teh Shore at Damietta
- Village of Fisherman on Fly Island, Lake Menzaleh - ( 2 images
- The Late General Sir W Knollys, Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod - ( - Portrait)
- The dispute between France and China: Examining the Chinese Manufactured
Rifles at the arsenal, Shanghai - ( - China - Guns)
- Garden Fete at Chelsea Hospital for the Royal Army Coffee Taverns Association
- ( - London)
- The Late General Sir Edward Sabine - The Late Mr Spottiswoode, President
of the Royal Society - ( - 2 portraits)
- The Prince and Princess of Wales at Winchester - ( - Hampshire
- Our Fishing industries: Line fishing for Cod - ( - Grimsby)
- Volcanoes of the World -
- The International Fisheries Exhibition: Grace Darling's Boat -
- Sketches of the Ship Launch Disaster at Glasgow.
Trial of Life Saving Apparatus on the Serpentine, Hyde, Park, London.
The Union Steam Ship Company`s Royal Mail Steamer "Tartar".
Complimentary dinner to Mr Herny Irving at St James`s Hall. A montage of attendees.
Sinking of the DAPHNE with 200 men . The great disaster of the ship launch
at Glasgow.. By W H Overend.
The Ben Nevis Summit Observaory.
The New Building in White Street, Moorfields, London, City of London College.
The Lecture Hall, London, City of London College.
Funeral of the Late Mr W Spottiswoode FRS, in Westminster Abbey.
Sketches at the Wimbledon Camp of the National Rifle Association.
Home for Orphan Boys at Swanley, Kent.
"In Memory" by A Stocks, with poetic contribution by Elizabeth Barrett
Engraving of a waterclour by W H Weatherhead with poetry by Charles Kingsley.
View of York. The Showyard of the Royal Agricultural Society. With the Minster
in the background.
Shielding the helpless, Statue by E B Stephens.
The New Central Station Hotel, Glasgow.
- The Savage Club entertainment at the Royal Albert Hall.
Crab Catching in Cornwall.
The Cholera in Egypt - Quarantine examination at Brindisi.
The Runs of Thebes, Egyprt. 3 images.
Benwell Tower, Newcastle on Tyne. Residence of the Bishop of Newcastle.
Home for Orphan Boys at Swanley, Kent.
Departure of Irish Emigrants at Clifden, County Galway. By A O`Kelly.
The Jesmond Dene Public Park, Newcastle on Tyne.
Plan of the Suez Canal.
Plan of Port Said.
Plan of Suez Harbour.
The Plain of Pelusium.
M Ferdinand de Lesseps, President of the Suez Canal Company.
Plan of the Suez Canal.
- Surgeon General W G Hunter, Goverment Medical Adviser in Egypt
- Mr John Marshall, new president of the Royal College of Surgeons
- View of Tamatave, Madagascar - (Front
- Presentation of colours to the 3rd Battalion of Royal Scots Regiment by
the Marchioness of Lothian - ( - Scotland)
- Opening of the homes for little boys at Swanley by the Prince and Princess
of Wales - ( - Kent - Royalty)
- The Prince of Wales at York - ( - 10 images)
- Evening Fete at the International Fisheries Exhibition -
- Sketches in Cairo - ( - Egypt)
- The Suez Canal question in Parliament -
- Sketches in Nidderdale, Yorkshire -
- The Death of Captain Webb: The whirlpool Rapids, Niagara - (Front Page -
- The eclipse of the Sun: Seen from Caroline Island in the Pacific Ocean -
- The Cholera in Cairo: The people leaving Boulak - ( - Egypt)
- The Death of Captain Webb: The whirlpool in the Lower Rapids, Niagara -
( - Canada)
- Sketches in Cairo: The harbour of Boulak -
- The earthquake in Ischia: Casamicciola and Mount Epomeo - ( - Italy)
- A Seaside Romance - ( - Colour)
- A short shower in the 'row', Hyde Park - ( - London - Horses)
- The buried City of the Exodus - ( - Egypt)
- The Explosion of the rocket factory at Woolwich Arsenal as seen from Plumstead
Marshes - Ruins of the Rocket store house after the explosion - (Front Page)
- The explosion of the rocket factory at Woolwich Arsenal -
- O'Donnell, the alleged murderer of James Carey, at Bow Street police court
- Chinese war preparations: Overhauling a gun-boat at Shanghai - (
- A chinese torpedo Corps -
- Sketches in Scotland Yard - The Metropolitan and Detective Police - ()
- Sketches in Scotland Yard - Types of habitual criminal, showing the position
in which they are photographed at the convict court / The convict office for
ticket-of-leave men and others under Police supervision -
- Statue fo Germania, opposite Bingen, on the Rhine - (1/4 Page - Germany)
- The Scheldt Emancipation Monument, Antwerp - (1/4 Page - Belgium)
- Foreign Gun-Boats laid up in the winter at Tientsin, North China - (
- Sketches in Annam: A riverside dwelling - (Front Page - Indo China)
- Sketches at the Apple congress at Chiswick -
- The Duke and Duchess of Albany at the opening of Beaumont Park, Huddersfield
- ( - Yorkshire)
- Young Marmozets born in London - ( - Monkey)
- Sketches on the Canadian Pacific Railway Line - ( - Canada - Winnipeg
- Sashatchwean River - Rat Portage Island)
- The right of Way - ( - art print - Victorian Lady / Cow)
- Sketches in Scotland Yard - Serving out clothing to the Police / Pension
day fort he retired policeman -
- New Parish Church of St Paul, Hammersmith - (1/8 Page)
- Roman Baths discovered at Bath - (1/8 Page - Somerset)
- Castlewellan, County Down, Ireland, the Seat of Lord Annesley - (1/4 page
- Apple gathering and Cider making in Devonshire -
- American Fisheries - Shad fishing on the Delaware - ( - USA)
- Odd Fish at the International Fisheries Exhibition -
- Placing the old Scottish Regimental Colours in St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh
- (Front Page - Scotland)
- Sketches of the insurrection of Servia - ( - Yugoslavia)
- The Late Sir William Siemens - ( - portrait)
- The Government college and oriental college, Lahore with the Punjab University
Senate Hall - ( - India)
- The London Samaritan Society's Distribution of boots and clothing to the
poor children -
- 'The Post Boy' - by P R Morris - ( - Art Print)
- The Duke of Edinburgh's visit to Croydon -
- Reclics found in the Viking's tomb at Taplow -
- Calais, old and new, with canal around the Town, now under construction
- ( - France)
- The Great Military Disaster in the Soudan: Native Egyptian Troops - (Front
page - Sudan)
- Lieutenant Colonel H W R Coetlogon - (Front 1/4 Page - Portrait)
- Hicks Pasha, Commander of the Egyptian Army destroyed in the Soudan - (Front
1/4 Page - Portrait - Egypt)
- Sketches in Upper Egypt - Assoun, from the South -
- The Late Lord Overstone - ( - Portrait)
- Map of the Central region of the Soudan - ( - Map)
- The Great Military Disaster in the Soudan: Khartoum, the capital of the
Soudan at the junction of the Blue and White Nile / Fashoda, the chief town
of the shillook country, in the white Nile / Souakim, the sea port of Nubia
and of Khartoum, on the Red Sea -
- 'Exultation' - by S Berkley - ( - Art Print - Egyptian Horse-Man)
- Investing the Siamese Prince Prisdang with the Royal Order of Chula Chom
Klao, at the Siamese Embassy in London - ( - Thailand)
- Chimpanzee and Koolokamba, at the Zoological Society's Gardens - (
- French Mounted Infantry for the war in Tonquin -
- Sketches of the convict prisons: Dartmoor -
- 'A private view in a monastery' by L C Henley - ( - Art Print)
- View of the John Brinsmead and Sons Pianoforte Works, London, NW - ( - Piano
- The trial of Patrick O'Donnell at the Old Bailey for the murder of James
Carey - (Front Page)
- Sketches in the Soudan - El Obeid, the capital of Kordofan, near which the
army of Hicks Pasha was destroyed / Abu Haras in Kordofan, near El Obeid /
Khartoum, the capital of the Soudan, Principle Square with Residence of the
Mudir or Egyptian Governor - ( - Sudan)
- Sketches in the Soudan - The defile of Haraza, in Kordofan -
- 'The Birds' of Aristophanes, played at Cambridge University - (
- The first Cataract of the Nile, near the Island of Phile - ( -
- Illustrations of the wild tribes in the Soudan -
- Lawn Meet of the West Norfolk Hounds at Sandringham - ( - Hunting
- Sketches in China: On board an Opium hulk at Shanghai -
- Jebel Abu Sinun, Kordifan, in the Soudan / Jebel El Ain, near Obeid in Kordofan
- (Front Page - Sudan)
- Dongola in the Soudan, the birthplace of the Mahdi -
- The Nile between the cemetary of Assouan and the Island of Philae -
- Sketches from 'Claudian', the new piece at the Princess's Theatre -
- Pictures from the exhibition of teh institute of painters in oil colours
- Bashi-Bazouks on the march: A halt for Prayer - ( - Sudan)
- The Birmingham Cattle, Poultry and Dog Show -
- Burning of the House of Representatives at Brussels - ( - Belgium)
- 'Striking a Match' by S G M'Cutcheon - ( - Art Print - Winter Scene
with Victorian Gentleman and Woman)
- The King's Highway' by F Dadd - ( - Art Print - Coach and Horses
- 'Gentle, Loving, Good, Wearing the Rose of Womanhood' by Emily Mitchell
- (Front Page - Art Print - Victorian woman)
- 'Their Christmas Dinner - Turkey' by G King - ( - Art Print)
- 'Their Christmas Dinner - Goose' by G King - ( - Art Print - Scene
- My Matrimonial Suit by J P Atkinson
- 'A Merry Christmas to you' - (Front Page)
- Pictures from the Exhibition of the Institute of Painters in oil colours
- Wynyard Park, the seat of the Marquis of Londonderry, visited by the Prince
and Princess of Wales - ( - Ireland)
- Prize distribution to the second Volunteer Battalion Royal Fusiliers at
St James's Hall -
- An English christmas in Paris -
- The Pleasure of Success - ( - illustration of Victorian Gentlemen
and Women with cattle)
- The International Exhibition at Nice, to be opened December 24 - (
- The Calcutta Exhibition -
- Christmas Roses by A Johnson - ( - Art Print
- Fancy Dress Ball on board H.M. Troop Ship Serapis on crossing the Line -
- The Clock and Bells at the Royal Courts of Justice -
- The French in Cochin China : Sketches of Hue - ( - Indo China)
- Sketches from 'Lords and Commons' at the Haymarket Theatre -
- The War in the Soudan : A dervish preaching the Holy Way to Arab chiefs
- ( - Sudan)
- Fair held on the Esplanade, Bombay, in honour of the arrival of the Duke
and Duchess of Connaught - ( - India)
- H.M.S. Leander - ( - Naval - Ships)
- The Tower of London showing the White Tower after the demolition of the
old guard rooms and offices -
- Sketches of the Tower of London - ( - multiviews)
- Sketches in the armoury and museum of the Tower of London -
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid