Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
The Illustrated London News 1913
- January 31st - Irish Home Rule Bill rejected by the Lords
- February 17th - Modern and abstract art intoduced in the USA at Armory
- April 14th - Typhus vaccine discovered
- May 30th - Peace declared between Turkey and the Balkan league
- June 4th - Miss Emily Davison died after she threw herself under the Kings
horse at the Derby
- July 1st - 2nd Balkan War declared on Bulgaria by Greece and Serbia and
ends with The Treaty of Bucharest
- October 10th - Panama Canal effectively opened by blowing up of Gamboa
- Emmeline Pankhurst was sentenced to 3 years after planting a bomb that destroyed
Lloyd George's golfing villa in Surrey
- In New York the Grand Central Station opened and a couple were arrested
for kissing in the street
- In Germany the Kaiser banned soldiers and sailors from dancing the Tango
- In Paris the premiere of Stravinky's The Rite of Spring caused a
- Albert Schweitzer opens Lambaréné Hospital (Gabon)
- More than 400 miners died in a Colliery fire in the Aber Valley
- Anglo Turkish treaty gave Britain the sole rights to oil exploration in
Arabia, Mesopotamia and Syria
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2009 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
- Scott and the Antarctic Tragedy
- Suffragettes 1 page report of bomb attack carried out on Lloyd George's
house by Emily Wilding Davison
main news items
- The dreadful train crash at Aisgill (front page illustration),
- Unrest in Ireland,
- Airships (and how they work as a weapon of war),
- Flying aeroplanes (feats & disasters),
- England's old wooden Navy
- The cover shows the last dynamiting for the Panama Canal which flooded the
the lake from the pacific ocean.
- Inside: The upside down flying of Pegoud, athe anti-home force in Ulster,
- Putting Holland behind dikes for more usable land,
- Viswakama Buddhist Temple,
- Female elephants. Elephants in their native haunts of the Congo,
- George Moore's autobiography, Saturn.
- The cover shows women in the new donkey's ear hats. inside:
- Nelson's Wireless: optical signalling before Marconigrams.
- Mountain fighting in Switzerland,
- Radium to cure Cancer and rheumatism.
- Italian Islands of the Aegean,
- Athletes train in France for the Olympics,
- Hard hat diving for pearls.
- The Black Watch-highlanders on the march.
- Aquaplaning is shown here. A form of surfing.
- The build up of the Austro-Hungarian Army.
- Inside: covering the sea with a film of oil to make it smoother navigation,
- Micronesian natives in full fighting gear,
- How Trafalgar was fought,
- Golf on the High Seas is the artwork shown,
- The mystery painting of Charlotte Bronte is discovered.
- The Zeppelin L-2 burns and crashes in Berlin,
- Golconda the Fort in India, last weeks wedding gifts on show.
- Big game shot women and Deerstalker women shown,
- Sir Rufus Isaacs the New Lord Chief,
- Figures on Easter Island
- The cover shows the drawing of a man found on a mammoth.
- Inside: Mexico's President Huerta,
- a tornado in South Wales,
- Wire haired fox terrier takes the prize,
- China's inauguration of her first president,
- suffragettes burn down the Bristol university Athletic facility,
- Desert cactus in Arizona,
- Scenes in China,
- the girl from Utah,
- sending a locomotive across the Rio Grande in New Mexico,
- Papua's headhunters,
- Dicken's Old Curiosity shop,
- Famous British fighting ship figureheads,
- The Romance of India,
- Centerfold of the dog show-mostly Terriers.
- The cover U.S. Marines keeping watch at the Mexican Border.
- Inside: Railway wrecks,
- Panama Canal opened by dynamite,
- A Mexican hat store,
- Scotts last expedition to the Antarctic
- etchings of Edgar Chahine,
- Cinematography in Britain,
- Centerfold of the Argentine Tango,
- Duchess of Brunswick.
- Full page Buchanan's advert,
- Full page Michelin Man advert sitting on the Olympia glass building
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid