The wedding took place on October 15th, 1913, and was commemorated
in the ‘Royal Wedding Double Number’ of October 18th (Appendix
list no. 66). Prince Arthur, the only son of the Duke and Duchess of
Connaught (the Duke being Arthur, the third son of Queen Victoria) was
the first cousin to the King, and Princess Alexandra of Fife, the elder
daughter of the Princess Royal (Princess Louise) and the late Duke of
Fife, was the King’s niece. The wedding took place in the Chapel
Royal, St. James’s Palace, the ceremony being performed by the
Archbishop of Canterbury.
The magazine shows photographs of the bride from infancy to the age
of 17 and the bridegroom from babyhood to the age of 19. There are full
descriptive biographies of the couple and illustrations of the ceremony
in the Chapel Royal, the Park Lane residence of the bride and groom,
their drive through the streets, their wedding presents, the couple
setting out for their honeymoon, their relations and guests, the wedding
gowns, floral decorations and the wedding cake.
The decorative cover of the magazine has a bright orange-red background
against which, in an oval frame, is a full length photograph of the
bride and groom in informal dress. Above the orange frame are three
cupids holding flowers, draped down the side of the frame are wedding
ribbons and lovers’ knots and beneath the frame is a hymeneal
torch and scattered flowers.
The issue, number 3887, vol. 143 (pages 585-648) measures 30 x 42 cm
and was priced at one shilling.