Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
The Illustrated London News 1900
The first ever Automobile race at Welbeck abbey.
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
- February 27th - The British Labour Party launched under Ramsay
- February 28th - The end of Ladysmith's 118 day seige
- May 17th - The relief of Mafeking after 31 weeks seige by the Boers
- July 1st - First flight by Count Zeppelin's airship
- August 4th - Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (The Queen Mother),
youngest daughter of 14th Earl of Strathmore, born at St. Paul's Walden Bury,
- August 14th - Boxer rising against Europeans in China, Peking
stormed by the allies (British, German, Japanese, Russian and USA) to end
- The Commonwealth of Australia was created
- Russia occupied Korea
- Britain was building several new battleships for Japan
- Germany was planning a new fleet of 38 battleships
- The Daily Express was first published
- Minoan culture discovered in Crete
- John Ruskin dies, aged 81
- Oscar Wilde dies in Paris
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2009 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
- Double Page Illustrations:
News of RELIEF OF LADYSMITH in the City. Battle of Caesar’s Camp –
Devons (Devonshire Regiment) charge on Wagon Hill SOL.
- Full Page Illustrations
Boers moving artillery
Guards, Gordons and Lancers at Modden River and Enslin, .
A Boer shot for firing on RAMC Officer SOL.
Looking for Buller’s advance SOL.
Marksmen at King’s Post SOL.
Lucky escape for 18th Hussars trooper SOL.
General Douglas Cochrane, 12th Earl Dundonald SOL, .
Portraits of Officers killed in South Africa .
Portraits of Lady Smith and General Sir Harry Smith
Nurses and patients at Rondebosch .
Great War Budget in London.
- Half Page Illustrations:
18th Hussars preparing for battle,
5th Division cross Tugela River,
- Commissariat Officers,
Officers from Thorneycroft’s Horse, .
Major Harrison and Officers of Royal Field Artillery, .
Reminiscences of Exodus from Pretoria.
Bethune’s mounted infantry in Natal, .
Simon’s Town naval base and 6 named Royal Navy vessels, .
Athletic ground in Cape Town for use by Boer prisoner
Naval Gun on rail truck.
Refugees at East London, .
Sir George White’s birthplace, Portstewart, Co Derry.
Bishops of India at Calcutta, .
Departure from Adelaide of soldiers for South Africa, .
- Part Page Illustrations
Officers of Gordon Highlanders in the field. .
Homes of Rest for Discharged Soldiers at Bisley.
Captain Chichester Transport Officer at Cape Town. .
Martial Law in Durban.
May 12th .
Some of the engravings are
- Our Artist under Fire, Camp Wellington,
- The Queen in Ireland,
- A Warriors Refreshment, Conje,
- The Relief of Kemberley,
- A Lyddite Shell,
- Our Occupation of Bloemfontein,
- Tommy's Curious,
- Aid at Last,
- End of Days Work
- End of the Boer War and the start of the Boxer War in China
- Examination of Russian Workmen before a Manchurian District Mandarin;
- Troops at Canterbury Cathedral; S
Invalided Home – wounded C.I.V.’s return;
The Yeomanry Hospital at Roodeval captured by the Boer guerilla commander
Christiaan De Wet. P x 6
Inside De Wet’s Guerilla Camp;
Portrait of the late Baron Russell, Lord Chief Justice;
Russian Govt. Post in Transbaikal, Siberia;
A Japanese Infantryman,
French battle ship ‘Brennus’
Yachting - German Emperor’s Cup at Cowes;
Chung King and Chiang Pei;
Chinese road at Shanhaikwan;
Portraits of Col. Cavaye, Dr. Elliston, Capt. Parsons, Count Waldersee, Mr.
Oliphant, Capt. Wellby, Dr. Max Nordau.
Cage punishment in Shanghai
Russian military cart
Peking Skating Rink
German ship greets a British one at Suez.
Almon’s Pass, Natal
Harrismith Orange Free State
Cronje and family in St Helena;
European Club, Tientsin;
- Boxer Rebellion cover showing Admiral Seymour's advance on Tientsin:an incident
of Chinese Treachery."The Chinese Crisis Scenes at Taku and Tientsin".
- Great black and white photos of the captured Taku Forts, illustration of
12th Russian Infantry on sentry duty, two page spread titled "Russian
Cossack Artillery in action near Tientsin.
- Also photos of Chinese prisoners and wounded and parade of the garrison.
- illustrated article on the Boer War etc.
- cover titled "The Allied Forces in China:German Soldiers searching
houses for Armed "Boxers".Then inside has short article titled "The
Allied Forces in China" with several black and white photos showing a
Temple in Tientsin used by the American troops as their headquarters,a Russian
Battery on the Pei-Ho River and a Russian wagon-camp at Tongku.Also has great
two page spread illustration titled "The Allies in China German troops
cheering a Charge by the Bengal Lancers".
- photos from the Boer War
- cover titled "The Russians at Newchwang"a Test of Boxer "Invulnerability".
- illustrated article titled "The Siege of the Legations" with
full page illustration showing house in the British Legation in which the
ladies of the embassy lived during the siege,
- other illustrations show "Boxer loopholes outside the city wall"
the International Hospital in the British legation,
- photo of British Marines from HMS Orlando who held the barricades in the
Han Lin College,
- scenes of destruction during the siege,civilians constructing earthworks
before the seige,
- a Chinese camp from the German position,
- two page spread titled "Russians repelling the Boxer attack on the
- illustrations of the protected way across the Imperial Canal and the fire
- two page spread titled "Within the wall of the British Legation during
the Defence"showing solders of the multi-national force,ruins of Han
- company of Chinese soldiers marching down Peking street.
- a Boer War illustrated article in this issue
- Great Boxer Rebellion cover.
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid