here to go to The Year Grid
The Illustrated London News 1885
1885 Rebellion in North West Canada
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
- Gladstone's goverment falls and Lord Salisbury becomes Prime
- July 6th - Louis Pasteur develops Rabies Vaccine
- Dynamite outrages in Westminster and the Tower of London
- Victor Hugo dies, aged 83
- The Canadian Pacific Railway is completed
- The first performance of Gilbert and Sullivans The Mikado
- General Gordon was killed by Dervishes two days before the relief of Khartoum
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2009 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
January to June
- Colour - HRH Prince Edward of Wales - portrait, The Relief of Khartoum -
Testing the Speadiness of Camels - tinted tan background, The Relief of Khartoum
- From Korti to Mettameh on Road to Khartoum (2 page) - tinted tan background,
Relief of Khartoum - Concert at Korti (tinted tan background), General Gordon
- the Heroic Defender of Khartoum (portrait-tan tinted background), Birds
Eye View of Country Around Herat Shewing Positions Occupied by Russia (topographic
view - 2 page - tinted yellow), A Soldier’s Funeral (2 page tinted yellow),
In the Row Hyde Park (2 page - tinted blueish gray), Leading Members of the
Liberal Government (2 page - tinted grayish),
- The Nile Expedition,
- The Pantomimes,
- Dressing for the Charade,
- The War in the Soudan - an Affair With Outposts (2 page),
- The Earthquake in Spain, Nile Expedition - First Battalion,
- Naval Training of Prince Albert Victor of Wales and His Brother,
- British Navy - HMS Agamemnon, Nile - Departure of Lord Wolseley from Ambukol,
- Festivities of the Coming of Age of Prince Albert Victor of Wales,
the British Protectorate of South East New Guinea tat Port Moresby (2 page),
- Nile Expedition - A Column of Troops Starting Across the Desert (2 page),
- Earthquake in Spain - People of Granada Taking Shelter in Wooden Huts and
- Skating Parties,
- The Earthquake in Spain,
- The Troubles in Bechuanaland
- The Frozen Meat Trade of the River Plate,
- Nile Expedition -
An Alarm in the Desert (2 page),
- English Homes No. 1 - Windsor Castle (2 page
- The Late Colonel Frederick Burnaby - Royal Horse Guards Killed
in the Soudan,
- The Late Colonel Burnaby in His Ride to Khiva,
- Nile Expedition
- Advance on Khartoum (2 page),
- An Avalanche in Northern Italy (2 page vertical),
- The Dynamite Outrages - Westminster Hall and Scene of the Explosion in the
Tower of London (several),
- The Relief of Khartoum - Major General Sir Herbert
- Khartoum Relief Expedition (many),
- Convoy of Wounded,
- War in the
Desert - A Running Fight (2 page - riding camels),
- Khartoum Expedition - Gakdul
- Khartoum Expedition - Officers,
- Gakdul Wells - Passing Water Down to
- On the Desert March - Lower Well,
- Views of the Nile From Sketches
by Lieutenant Colonel J. A. Grant,
- Views of Khartoum from Photographs,
- En Route to Bechanaland,
- With the Afghan Boundary Commission,
- Cossack Dance Before the Russian General Komaroff at Old Sarakis (half),
of the Grenadier Guards by the Queen of Windsor Castle (2 page),
- The Blenheim
Raphael Purchased From the Duke of Marlborough for the National Gallery,
in the House of Commons During the Debate on the Vote of Censure,
- Afghan Boundary
Commission (2 page),
- First Attempt to Take the Town of Metammeh (2 page),
- Sir Charles Wilson and His Party on the Island of Meruat After the Wreck of
- Sir Charles Wilson’s Reconnaissance of Khartoum - Conflict
With the Enemy Opposite Omdurman (2 page),
- The British Fleet - HMS Imperiuse
- The Khan’s Kibitka - The Khan Starting for a Raid (half),
- Mussulman Pilgrims From Persia on the Way to the Holy City of Meshed (2 page),
- Bechuanaland Expedition, Ruler of Afghanistan (half),
- Sketches From the Mikado
at the Savoy Theatre,
- The Afghan Question,
- The Ships of Our Navy - HMS Colussus,
- The Great Highway of Central Asia (camels),
- The Northwest Frontier of India,
- Carpet Weaving by Convicts in the Jail at Peshawur,
- Sketches on Board the
Cunard Steamship Etruria,
- The Royal Visit to Ireland (2 page vertical),
for War - Torpedo Boats,
- The Ships of the British Navy - HMS Collingwood,
- Map of Afghanistan and the Adjacent Territories of Russian Turkistan Prussia
- View of Pulikhisti the Bridge of Brick Where the Russians Attacked
the Afghan Outposts (2 page),
- Hillmen Travelling Through the Bolan Pass (half),
- Royal Visit to Ireland - The Drawingroom at Dublin Castle,
- The Prince and
Princess of Wales in Ireland (2 page),
- Sketches from ‘The Magistrate’
at the Court Theatre,
- A St. Bernard Puppy - the Sleep of Innonence (half),
- Royal Party Passing Over Parnell Bridge Cork,
- State Ball at St. Patrick’s
Hall Dublin Castle,
- Past Days on the Persian Border - Turkoman Raid the Tower
of Refuge (2 page),
- Prince and Princess of Wales at Belfast - Festive Arches
and Decorations, Procession Passing Along Castle Place Belfast,
- Prince and
Princess of Wales at the Lakes of Killarney,
- Royal Party on the Lake at Killarney
- Grand Durbar at Rawul Pindi - Arrival of the Viceroy of India (half
page over 2 pages - panoramic view),
- Types of Russian Soldiery,
- Openings of
the International Inventions Exhibition at South Kensington by the Prince
- Russian Troops at Baku on Their Way to Central Asia (2 page),
of Pictures at the Royal Academy (2 page),
- General Ghous ud Din Khan Commander
of the Afghan Troops at Penideh With His Afghan Soldiers,
- Russian War Preparations
- Firing Drill of a Sotnia of Circassian Cossacks,
- Sketches at the Rawul Pindi
Durbar by Lieutenant Offley Shore,
- The Lakes of Killarney (several),
- The Lakes
of Killarney (2 page),
- The Rebellion in the Northwest Territory of Canada
- Captain French (Since Killed) Taking Three Indian Spies Prisoners,
- The Ameer
of Afghanistan at the Rawul Pindi Durbar, The Rebellion in the Northwest Territory
- The Artists Costume Ball at Princes Hall,
- Russian Military Positions
in Asia - Krasnovodsk on the Caspian Sea,
- Funeral of the Late Sir Watkin William
- The New Opera ‘Manon’ at Drury Lane Theatre,
- The Rebellion
in the Northwest Territory of Canada - Colonial Troops Marching Over the Ice
of Nepigon Bay Lake Superior (2 page),
- Revisiting the Trenches of Tel-el-Kebir
- Canadian Militia at Clarks Crossing on the South Saskatchewan,
Russian Advance in Asia From West to East,
- The Artist’s Costume Ball
at Princes Hall Piccadilly ,
- Rebellion in Northwest Territory of Canada -
Indian Prisoners (half),
- Victor Hugo (2 page vertical portrait),
Play at Coombe House,
- Funeral of Victor Hugo in Paris,
- Rebellion in Northwest
Territory of Canada - Battle of Fish Creek (2 page),
- The St. Petersburg and
Cronstadt Maritime Canal Opened by the Emperor and Empress of Russia,
of an Artis in Sketching From Nature,
- Asiatic Subjects of the Russian Empire
- Kalmuck Tartars,
- North American Indians Attacking a Mail Coach (2 page),
- Opening of the Wareham and Swanage Railway,
- The Late Queen Emma of the Sandwich
- Melton the Winner of the Derby (half),
- Deer Shooting on a New York
- Prayer Procession for Rain in Germany,
- Ballooning in Bechuanaland,
Holloway Sanatorium Virginia Water,
- Lucerne and Neighborhood (2 page),
Fire at the Indian Museum South Kensington (half),
- Rambling Sketches Kentish
- Sketches at the Ben Nevis Observatory,
- Campaign Against the
Rebels in the Northwest Territory of Canada,
- Fishing Up Lost Anchors,
New Ministry (2 page - many portraits),
- Sketches in the West Pacific Islands
- War in the Soudan illustrations - Bivouac in the Desert,
- The Desert March,
- Scene at the Wells of Abou Halfa (2 page),
- Making Clothes at Pimlico for the
Troops Going to Souakim,
- Sketches by the Late Lieut. Col R. C. Coveny,
Late Major General William Earle,
- Death of Mr. Cameron Special Correspondent
of the ‘Standard’ in the Battle of Jan. 18 (half),
- Burial of Mr.
- Battle of Abou Klea - Repulse of the Arab Charge (2 page),
- The Battle of Abu Klea,
- Starting for Khartoum - Sir Charles Wilson With Escort
of the Sussex Regiment Embarking at Gubat to Go Up the Nile (2 page),
Boundary Commission (8 page section),
- Zereba and Advanced Redoubt Near Souakim,
- Sir Redvers Bullers Retreat From Mettameh to Korti,
- The Battle of Kerbekam
- The Column on the March Between Gakdul and El Howeiyat,
Native Soldiers Carrying the Wounded to Korti (half),
- A Night Attack on the
Camp at Souakim (2 page),
- The Fight at Hasheen Near Soukim - the Lancers Charging
on the Flank of Osman Digna’s Attack,
- The Fight of Sunday March 22 at
McNeill’s Zereba (2 page),
- Facsimiles of Sketches in the Neighbourhood
- Australian Infantry Marching into Camp at Souakim,
of Sketches at Souakim by our Special Artist Mr. Walter Paget,
of Transport at Souakim,
- Departure of the Australian Contingent from Sydney
New South Wales (half),
- March to Tamai - Inflating the Balloon,
in Camp - A Menagerie Race (2 page), etc.
- Portrai and article of Mr George A Sala.
- The Nile Expedition: A Halt at Akasheh.
- Montage of the Christmas Pantomimes.
3 portraits- Rev Lord Plunket, Bastien Lepage, Lt Col Labalmoniere.
2 sketches of Sir Peter Lumsden at Meshed, Khorassan and Miandasht.
Dressing for a Charade.
A strange story: a tale told in 7 images.
Article surrounding a map of the Nile as it was known.
The War in the Sudan: An affair with outposts, by Caton Woodville.
- The Earthquake in Spain
- Estipona, Port of Malaga, Cordova & and Malaga
- The Nile Expedition: 5 sketches by Melton Prior
- Portraits of Prince Henry of Battenberg and Princess Beatrice.
The Nile Expedition: Inspection of Guards Camels at Dongola.
The Nile Expedition: 1st Battalion Staffordshire regiment at Hannek Cataract,
2 images of the Naval training of Prince Albert Victor and his Brother. Splicing
a rope and portraits.
The Nile Expedition: 4 sketches, Major Howard at Dongola, Lord Wolseley, Wadi
Haifa, and an attack exercise.
Portrait and Obituary of The Late Rt Rev Dr Jackson, Bishop of London.
The German Annexation on the Coast of South Africa: Walvisch Bay
The German Annexation on the Coast of South Africa: Angra Pequena.
Shortnened Leave by Davidson Knowles.
- Portrait and Obituary of The Late Major Brophy, 42nd Highlanders, drowned
in the Nile.
- The Nile Expedition; The Guards Camel Corps.
- The Coming of Age of Prince Albert Victor.
Proclaiming the British Protectorate of South-East New Guinea, at Port Moresby.
(hoisting the Union Flag)
6 pictures exhibited at the Wither Exhibition of the Royal Society.
Sketches at the lord Mayors Juvenile Fancy dress
COLOUR PLATE: HRH Prince of Wales.
The Coming of Age of Prince Albert Victor: Ball at Sandringham.
The Nile Expedition; A column of troops starting across the desert.
- The Earthquake in Spain: People of Granada taking shelter.
- Afghanistan: The Boundary Commission: Gate of Matamai.
- Afghanistan: The Boundary Commission: Tomb of Omar Khayyoum, the Persian
Poet, at Nishapore.
- Afghanistan: The Boundary Commission: Bazaar at Shahrud.
- Skating Parties.
- The Earthquake in Spain: 1) The Ruins of Alhama.2) Calle de Aquas, Alhama.
3) Procession of the Rose, Granada. 4) Street in Alhama. 5) Chapel of the
High Church, Alhama. 6) The Tajo, Alhama.
- "Only that Rose" by W H Overend.
The Troubles in Bechaunaland: Stopping the Traders` Waggons to take Toll in
Boers of COSHEN sending their families away.
The Frozen Meat Trade of the River Plate. 6 illustrations featuring, Colonia
Super Advertisement; C BRANDAEUR & Co Circular Ball Pointed Pens. With
facsimile autographs of persons such as WM Thackeray, Anthony Trollope, George
Cruikshanks, Sala and more.
English homes Section: WINDSOR CASTLE
The North Terrace, The 100 Steps, The Private Garden
Superb Quality view of the Castle from a distance. By Montbard.
- Portrait: The Late Colonel Frederick Burnaby, Guards, Killed in the Sudan.
- Portraits of Soldiers killed in the Sudan. Commander Alfred Pigott. Major
W H Atherton. Lt Rudolph de Lisle.
- The Nile Expedition, Roya Engineers building a fort at Korti.
- The Late Col Burnaby in his "Ride to Khiva".
- The Nile Expedition, The advance on Khartoum.
The Nile Expedition, Lord Wolseley`s HQ at Korti.
The Nile Expedition, Unloading Boats.
Portrait: The Late P C Asbjornsen, Norwegian writer and naturalist.
Portrait: The Late Edmund About, French novelist and journalist.
The Earthquake in Spain, ruins of Albunuelas.
An Avalanche in Northern Italy. (Piedmont)
The Dynamite Outrage, as follows on one page:
Division lobby in the House of Commons, where the dynamite was placed.
Effects of the explosion.
The spot in Westminster Hall.
The efects of the explosion in the House of Commons.
Scene of the explosion in the Tower of London.
The Bar in the House of Commons before the explosion.
The Bar in the House of Commons after the explosion
- The Relief of Khartoum: Major-General Sir Herbert Stewart, late commanding
the advanced Brigade – (Front Page – Sudan)
- The Khartoum Relief Expedition – (2 s)
- The Khartoum Relief Expedition: Arrival of first Column at the Wells of
- The Khartoum Expedition: A convoy of Wounded
- The Special correspondents camp at Korti
- The Dynamite Outrages: Police Constable Cole who carried the dynamite out
of the crypt, Westminster Hall – James Gilber Cunningham taken into
custody at the Tower
- The War in the Desert – A running fight – ( –
- The Relief of Khartoum: Testing the steadiness of Camels – 19th Hussars
charging by a corner of the camel square
- The Relief of Khartoum: From Korti to Metammeh on the road to Khartoum:
The start across the desert
- The Relief of Khartoum: Concert at Korti ‘ A sailor ‘at sea’
in the desert of Soudan –
- Small portraits: The Late Lt Col R C Coveny (Black Watch) & The Late
Col P H Eyre (South Staffs)
- The War in Sudan: Khartoum.
- Portrait: Lt Gen Sir Gerald Graham VC, Suakim, The Late Major L M Carmichael
- Sudan: View of the HQ at Korti.
Desert March At the Wells of Abou Halfa, Sudan
Sudan: Sketches of clothes being made at Pimlico.
Illustrated Article: The Japanese Village with 9 illustrations.
Sketches on the "PEMBROKE CASTLE" by a Trooper of Methuen`s horse,
on route to Bechuanaland.
With The Afghan Boundary Commission; 5 images - 1) Shadrud. 2) Khorassan.
3) Chunar tree. 4) Meshed. 5) Damghan.
Fine portrait: The Late Major General William Earle CB CSI, killed at the
Battle if Kerbekan.
WARWICK CASTLE, by Montbard
The War in Sudan: Merawi, opposite Abou Dom.
The War in Sudan: Camp at Handar.
- Portrait: Maj Gen Sir Redvers Buller.
- Cheering after the arrival of Gordon`s Steamers at Metammeh.
- The War in Sudan: Death of Mr Cameron, correspondent for
- The War in Sudan: Burial of Mr Cameron, correspondent for the Standard.
- With The Afghan Boundary Commission: Durbar at Kuhsan, delegates identified.
With The Afghan Boundary Commission: Cossack dance before the Russian General
Komaroff at Old Sarakhs.
The War in Sudan: The Battle of Abou Klea.
The War in Sudan: Inside the zereba.
The War in Sudan: Nubian Soldiers under armed Effendi.
Portrait: Ismail Pasha.
The War in Sudan: The Fort at Abou Dom.
Inspection of The Grenadier Guards at Windsor Castle.
The War in Sudan: Merawi, opposite Abou Dom.
The War in Sudan: Camp at Handar.
- Sketches in the House of Commons during the debate on the Vote of Censure
– (Front Page – Politics)
- The War in the Soudan: The eve of the Battle of Abou Klea / First view of
the enemy of Abou Klea – ( – Sudan)
- The War in the Soudan: The Battle of Abou Klea: Our square advancing to
- The War in the Soudan: Starting for Khartoum – Sir Charles Wilson
with an escort of the Sussex Regiment, embarking at Gubat, to go up the Nile
- Map showing the disputed frontier between Russian Turkestan and Afghanistan
- The Afghan Boundary Commission: - (2 s – Afghanistan)
- The War in the Soudan: First Attempt to take the town of Metammeh
- The War in the Soudan: Zereba and advanced redoubt near Souakim –
(Front Page – Sudan)
- New Offices of the ‘Daily News’, Bouverie Street, Fleet Street
– ( – London)
- The War in the Soudan: Sir Redvers Buller’s retreat from Mtammeh to
Korti: The enemy pursuing and attacking at Abou Klea Wells
- The War in the Soudan: The Battle of Kerbekan: General Earle’s Troops
attacking the enemy
- The War in the Soudan: Sir Bedvers Buller’s retreat from Metammer
to Korti: The column on the march between Gakdul and El Howeiyat
- The Late Colonel Francis Lyon – Superintendent of the Royal Laboratory,
Woolwich Arsenal – (1/4 Page - Portrait)
- The late Captain F.M.Goold-Adams, R.A. Superintendent of experiments at
the School of Gunnery, Shouburyness – (1/4 Page – Portrait)
- With the Afghan boundary commission: The British Expedition fording the
Murghab at Maruchak – ( – Afghanistan)
- The British Fleet: H.M.S. Imperieuse, armed cruiser, 7300 Tons, 8000 horse
power, carrying ten guns – ( – Naval)
- ‘Those Laugh who Win’ by F DADD – ( – Art
- Various advertisements including ‘KANGAROO SAFETY BICYCLE’ –
‘NUBIAN HARNESS POLISH’ – ‘PARKINS & GOTTOS MAGIC
PEN’ – ‘NESTLES MILK FOOD’ – ‘MAPLE &
CO’ – ‘MAPPIN & WEBB’ – ‘MOUSON &
CO CELEBRATED TOILET SOAPS’ etc
- The War in the Soudan – (Front Page- Sudan)
- Three New Bishops – Right Rev E H Bickersteth, Bishop of Exeter /
Right Rev Temple, Bishop of London / Right Rev E King, Bishop of Lincolnshire
- The Khan’s Kibitka: The Khan starting for a raid
- With the Afghan Boundary Commission – ( – Afghanistan)
- Mussulman Pilgrims from Persia on the Way to the Holy City of Meshed –
( – Iran)
- The late Right Rev Christopher Wordsworth, Bishop of Lincoln – ( Portrait)
- Trinity Church, Bermuda – (1/4 Page)
- Presbyterian Church at Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand – (1/4 Page)
- The Late Mr Louis Haghe FormerPresident of the Royal Institute of Painters
in Water Colour – (1/4 Page - Portrait)
- The Late Mr J J Jenkins former Secretary of the Royal Society of Painters
in Water Colour (1/4 Page – Portrait)
- The War in the Soudan: The Nile at the head of the Gerendid Cataract
- The Bechuanaland Expedition – ( – South Africa)
- Ophelia – from the picture by Maynard Brown – ( –
- Many advertisements including ‘KANGAROO SAFETY BICYCLE’ –
‘PARKER UMBRELLA’ – MAPPIN & WEBB’ – ELLIMANS
ROYAL EMBROCATION’ – ‘HEAL & SON’ – ‘LOUIS
VELVETEEN’ – ‘MOUSON & CO CELEBRATED TOILET SOAPS’
- Cossack Artillery on the March.
- Sketches from "The Magistrate" at the Court Theatre
- Australian (NSW) Infantry marching into Souakim. War in the Sudan.
- Sketches at Souakim.
Destruction of transport near Souakim.
Departure of the Australian Contingent from Sydney, Australia.
A St Bernard Puppy.
Portrait: The Late Sir George Rose Sartorius, Admiral.
Portrait: The Late Earl Cairns.
1st Life Guards building their summer huts on the Nile. 2 images.
Portrait: The Late Lt Col A E A Cross, 75th Gordon Highlanders
Portrait: The Late Viscount Avonmore. 37th (Hampshire) Regiment.
Portrait: The Late Lt A F T Edwards. 19th (Royal Irish) Regiment.
CEAD MILE FAILTHI:- The Royal Visit to Ireland;
Laying the foundation stone for the Museum of Dublin.
Naming the "Alexanra" Basin. Dublin Docks.
At Cork going on board for Queenstown.
Passing over PARNELL Bridge, Cork.
State ball at St Patrick`s Hall, Dublin.
Presenting colours to the 32nd regt, Castle Gardens, Dublin.
Lord Bandon proposing the Queen`s Health at Queenstown.
Past days on the Persian Border - A Turkoman Raid: The Tower of
- Effects of the Explosion at the admiralty.
- The Battle of Hasheen, Sudan
- Royal Society Paintings: By Sir john Gilbert, Basil Bradley x 2 , Norman
Taylor, H S Marks.
- Tinted in Colour Map: Birds Eye View of Country Around HEART, showing positions
occupied by Russia.
- The March to TAMAI - inflating the balloon.
CEAD MILE FAILTHI:- The Royal Visit to Ireland;
A Belfast Montage Showing: Mechanics Arch, Arch in York Road, Albert memorial,
Bicycle Arch, Arch in Glengall Street.
The Procession passing along Castle Place, Belfast.
The Royal Party at the Lakes of Killarney.
The Royal Party on the Lakes of Killarney.
Top Half The Grand Durbar at Rawalpindi
Right Mounted Infantry burning Tamai.
Left Sketches of the 31st Punjab Infantry
- General Ghous-Ud-Din Khan, Commander of the Afghan Troops at Penjdeh.
- Trial of the Dynamite Conspirators at the Central Criminal Court, Old Bailey.
Featuring the following personalities - Cunningham, Burton, Mr Justice Hawkins,
The Nialsheni Pass, on the Heri Rud, with the Afgha Boundary Commission.
The War in Sudan: 3 illustrations 1) The first train at Handoub Station. 2)
The Scots Guards building a redoubt. 3) Monck`s redoubt.
Russian War Preparations: Firing drill of a Sotnia of Circassian Cossacks.
Mr Alexander Condie Stephen CB CMG, & Captain Yate, Bombay Staff Corps
with the Afghan Boundary Commission.
Captain Egerton A Denison. South Staffordshire Regiment - Commanding Canadian
Volunteers on the Nile.
Major J M W Beverhoudt, 17th Bengal N I & Lieutenant J B Richardson, 5th
Lancers (Royal Irish), both killed in the Sudan.
Sketches at the Rawlpindi Durbar,
The Lakes of Killarney. By Montbard. from above Torc Waterfall. and muckross
- Scene from As You Like It"
- Funeral of Victor Hugo at the Arc de Triomphe
- The Battle of Fish Creek, the rebellion in North West Canada
- The St Petersburg and Cronstadt Maritime Canal.
- Portrait: The Rev J E C Welldon, the new Head Master of Harow School.
Portrait: The Late Rev G Currie,
The New Liberal Club in Belfast.
The Pantheon, Paris.
The Time of Roses by Davidson Knowles.
Troubles of an artist in Nature.
North American Indians attacking a Mail Coach
Asiatic Subjects of the Russian Empire, Kalmuck Tartars and Dwellings.
- War in the Soudan and a Catch on the Nile
- Major general F D Middleton CB, Commander in Chies of the Colonial Militia
- Opening of the Wareham and Swanage Railway. 4 views, as follows - 1) Swanage.
2) Corfe. 3) Wareham. 4) Swanage.
The Fort at Bala Murghab, with the Afghan Boundary Commission.
A surgical operation in the Murghab Valley, with the Afghan Boundary Commission.
Super tinted engraving on quality paper. In The Row, Hyde Park. By R Caton
The Race for the Derby as in 1791
Haysman`s New International College, Finchley Road, West Hampstead. London.
The Late Sir Julius Benedict, Composer.
Melton, Winner of the Derby.
"Little Goods, Little Care" by Davidson Knowles.
Prayer Procession for Rain in Germany, drawn by J Schonberg
- Portrait of General Gordon.
- The Khartoum Expedition Gaedul Wells.
- Khartoum from the Nile.
- Sketches by our Special artist Melton Prior. Khartoum.
- Gaedul Wells Passing Water Down to the Troops.from the Upper Well
- On the Desert March Lower Well at Gaedul.
- Four Sketches of Various Views of the Nile.
- Mounted Infantry Capturing the first Prisoner.
- The War in the Soudan A Bivouac in the Desert .
July to December
- There is a serialized fictional story "The Master of the Mine"
by Robert Buchanan, with illustrations by W. H. Overend.
- The Royal Stag Hounds - 2 page
- There are special sections: The Royal Wedding Number - The Marriage of Princess
Beatrice - engravings of the palaces, gifts, jewels, ceremony, portraits,
- Inventions Exhibition - illustrations of machinery (printing press, watch
factory) and musical instruments exhibits (Brinsmead pianofortes).
- A Buried Greek City in Egypt - Antiquities Discovered at Naukratis (3 pages).
- Some of the engravings (full page or 2-page size unless noted) are: The
Pastoral Plays at Coomer House,
- Brown and Jones Go to Henley Regatta,
- Lugano and the Italian Lakes,
- Shadow and Sunlight - Drawn by Gunning King,
- Bass Fishing on the South Coast (2 page),
- Sketches of Sheffield,
- Last Sketches From the Soudan,
- The Evolutionary Squadron - Attack and Defense of Berehaven,
- Mr. H. M. Stanley the First Governor of the New Free State of the Congo
- Rambling Sketches - Malvern, Sketches in Peshawar, The Queen of
the Masque (2 page), An Eater Volunteer Review in New Zealand, Royal Visit
to Leeds and Preston (2 page plus others), Excavation of the Great Temple
of Luxor Upper Egypt (small engravings that look like photos), Sketches at
the Wimbledon Rifle Meeting, Santa Lucia drawn by G. L. Seymour (brownish
tinted), Over the Plains to Colorado - A Kansas Wheat field & A Roadside
Station on the Plains, Musee Plantin at Antwerp, A River Picnic (2 page),
The Marriage of Princess Beatrice (many, including some 2 page), Prince Henry
of Battenburg in the Uniform of the Garde-du-Corps, Whippingham Church Isle
of Wight, The Late General Ulysses S. Grant (portrait), Great Curling Match
at the Glaciarium Southport, The Morning Ride (children on horses), National
Liberal Club Whitehall Place, A Street in Tangier, Launch of the HMS Icarus
at Devonport, The Genesta Eighty ton Cutter Yacht, ‘God Save the Queen’
at the Inventions Exhibition (2 page), The Invention and Music Exhibition,
American Watch Company at Waltham Mass at the Inventions Exhibition, Brinsmead
Pianofortes, The Afghan Boundary Question The Road Through the Bolan Pass,
Industry (women sewing), Idleness (woman sleeping in hammock), Over the Plains
to Colorado - Approaching a Station on the Plains & Cattle on the Arkansas
River, Rambling Sketches the Isle of Thanet, Sketches of Herat - by Major
Holdich and Captain Peacocke - Officers of the Survey Department Afghan Boundary
Commission (5 views on 2 pages), At the Royal Yacht Squadron Club Cowes, Sketches
of a Trip to Norway (2 page), Over the Plains to Colorado - Dead Over-driven
Sheep & Emigrants on Their Way West, Rambling Sketches the Isle of Thanet
Margate, Bolan Pass Road and Railway, The Funeral of General Grant New York
(several), Sketches of a Stockman’s Life in Australia (2 page), English
Homes - No. 11 Hatfield House the Seat of the Marquis of Salisbury (2 page
plus others), Sketches in the Caroline Islands Disputed Between Germany and
Spain, The Intended New Bridge Over the Thames at the Tower, The American
Champion Yacht Puritan, Fishing on the Norfolk Broads, Cruise on the Norfolk
Broads (2 page), Mr. Gladstone in Norway, At the Regatta, A Railway in Colorado
(half page), Rambling Sketches Gower South Wales, Fountains Abbey Yorkshire,
English Homes No. III - The Queen’s Highland Home Balmoral (2 page plus
others), Our Autumn Cruise - Revictualizing the Yacht, Return of the Guards
From the Soudan, Sir J. Everett Millais Bart R.A. portrait, Pilotage in the
English Channel (2 page), Revolution in Eastern Roumelia - Prince Alexander
with His Servant, Prince of Wales in Norway, Prince and Princess of Wales
in Sweden and Denmark (several), Sketches in an English Hop Garden, A ‘Snorter’
in the Bay of Biscay (2 page of ship in storm), Hunting the Badger at Stanford
Park, In the Plains of Roumelia, Bulgarian Bandits Brouts into Roumelia, Snow
Skating in Norway (skiing), A Cruise on the Zuider Zee, The Coming Storm -
Winding up the Boats, The Municipal Jubilee, The Late Earl of Shaftsbury (portrait),
The Revolt in Albania, Rambling Sketches Abinger Surrey, The Irwell at Manchester,
Wild Boar Hunting in Northern Albania (2 page), The Manchester Ship Canal
Celebration (2 page), Lord Salisbury Addressing the Conservative Association
at Newport Monmouthshire, Manchester Ship Canal Great Meeting, Views in the
Fiji Islands, Sketches of Fijian Life (2 page), Sketches in Burmah, Preparing
to Blow up Rocks at Hell Gate in the East River New York, Scene of the Blowing
up of the Hell Gate Rocks as Viewed from Eighty Seventh Street New York (half
page), Revolution in Roumelia - Turkish Redifs on Board a Transport, City
of Dublin’s Steam Packet Company’s New Mail Steamer Ireland, Rambling
Sketches Kemsing Kent, Re-opening of the Restored Nave of St. Alban’s
Abbey, The Difficulty With Burmah (ambassadors in traditional dress), Turkey
in Europe map, Lime Cutting in India, English Homes No. IV Blenheim (2 page
plus others), Election Campaign in Scotland, Mandalay the Capital of the Kingdom
of Burmah, The Mohurrum Festival in Bombay, Shoeing Oxen and Horses at a Servian
Smithy, A Burmese Minister of State in Military Dress, Sketches in Brighton,
Election Sketches - the Irish Party at the National Hall Glasgow, Expulsion
of Jews From Eastern Roumelia, Rambling Sketches - Rustic Interiors in Surrey
and Kent, Norwegian Lynx Killing a Reindeer, A Wood Nymph by Jean Baptiste
Greuze (portrait tinted brown), Election Campaign - Mr. Gladstone in the Free
Church at Edinburgh, Humours of Electioneering (2 page plus others), Election
Campaign - Mr. Gladstone at the Albert Hall, Expedition to Burmah - An Elephant
Battery in Action, Baku on the Caspian, Lady Students at the National Gallery
(several), A Buried Greek City in Egypt, King Milan of Servia, Fire Temple
at Baku on the Caspian, House of Commons in 1799 - Mr. Pitt Addressing the
House (2 page), The War Between Servia and Bulgaria (many, including several
2 page), Sketches in Burmah - the Sacred White Elephant, Politics in the Nursery,
The Greek Play at Cambridge University, Scindia’s Fortress of Gwalior
Central India, Funeral of the Late King of Spain, Picturesque Canada, War
in the East - Prince Alexander Decorating Bulgarian Troops, Members of the
New House of Commons (several), The War in the East (many battle scenes),
Priscilla - from a drawing by Florence Gravier (brownish tinted portrait -
this has a few waterstains).
Ads include Beechams Pills, Louis Fabric (full page), Ammoniaphone, Maple
& Co. Furniture, Montserrat Fur Juice (full page), Cadbury’s Cocoa
(full page), Electropathic Belt (half page), Bensons Watches (full page),
Oetzman & Co. Furniture (full page) - plus many small ads with interesting
illustrations (bicycles, clothes, watches, silver, Dollie Daisie Dimple
Photos include: On the Summit of Ben Nevis - From Photographs by Messrs
Johnston & Mason of Glasgow, Photograph From Life - Our Girls and Our
Boys by J. Thomson
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid