Click here for the PREVIOUS Year of The Illustrated
here to go to The Year Grid
The Illustrated London News 1882
1882 Attempt to assasinate Queen Vicroria
Events of this year in the Illustrated London News
- Chief Secretary of Ireland, Lord Frederick Cavendish was assassinated
in Phoenix Park, Dublin
- The Hague Convention agrees a 3 mile limit for territorial
- Charles Darwin dies, aged 73
- Italian military leader Giuseppe Garibaldi dies
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2014 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without
The Guildhall London - Reception of Guests in the Library ' full front page print from engraving
The Crisis in Egypt
' Plan of Alexandria Harbour Showing Inner Fortifications and Position of Foreign Ships of War ..'
' Alexandria - The " Great Square " scene of the Rising Against the European Inhabitants '
' Egyptian Troops on Parade '
' Ireland - The LAte Mr Walter Bourke Assassinated at Ardrahan in Galway '
' Sardar Afzal Khan CSI - The New Cabul Envoy '
' Sheep Dog Trials at the Alexandra Palace - Bringing up the Sheep - - - Starting the Dog - - - Not in Yet (the pen) - - - A Steady Drive - - - Wont Move '
' Small Sport in India ' full page engraving from ligh hearted sketches by W. Alston possibly
' Manufacture of Opium: Crude Opium Exuding from the Green Poppy Head - - - Knife of Four Double Pointed Blades for Scratching ... - - - On of the Blades of the Knife - - - Iron Spoon for Collecting Drops of Opium '
' How I Joined the 150th - A Reminiscence Miel of the Last Century ' full page
A Day at ARles -:
' An Old Woman '
' Entrance to the Roman Cemetery '
' A Young Girl '
' Interior of the Amphitheatre '
Remains of the Roman Theatre '
' Exterior of the AMphitheatre '
' Remains of the Forum '
Full page of engravings
' Military Tournament at the Agricultural Hall at Islington - First Life Guards '
' Crisis in Egypt - The Citadel Cairo '
' Egypt - Arabi Pasha's House at Cairo '
' A Lighthouse - Eno's Fruit Salt ' advert
Weather Chart for the Week
This second part of the description features a list of items of news articles etc but have no images associated with the subject matter unless listed above. They include :-
Topics of the Week includes:
TheAutumn Session in Parliament with mention of Mr Gladstone - Mr Healy - Mr Biggar - Mr Parnell - Sir Stafford Northcote .
the Metropolitan Police
Prince Bismarck's "Timber"
The Corps of Commissionaires
Pastimes in cludes the Turf - Cricket - Aquatics
Music includes -The Royal Italian Opera - - Madame Sophie Menter - - Waifs
Legal includes - Mister Commissioner Kerr - - Mr Belt the Sculptor - - Captain Doherty 's Libel Action against Mr J. Lowther MP - - Abducting a Bailiff at Sunderland
Smugglers and Smuggling by W. Wilfrid Cordeaux
New Novels include - The Martydom of Madeline by Robert Buchanan - - A Royal Amour by R. Davey - - Flattering Tales by Mr A. Egmont Hake
Manufacture of Opium
January to June
- The state of Ireland.
- Illustrations include the Arctic Exploration - J Gordon Bennett,
- Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont betrothed to Prince Leopold - Duke of
- the War in Herzegovina,
- French Army in Tunis,
- Channel Tunnel in Dover,
- a scene from Romeo and Juliet,
- illustrations of Jumbo the Elephant,
- trial of Roderick Maclean for shooting at the Queen,
- Charles Darwin's Obituary,
- Ralpoh Waldo Emerson,
- The Jeanette Expedition,
- Royal Visit to Hastings,
- Lord Mayor of London Ball,
- New Offices of the Daily Telegraph in Fleet Street,
- Views in and Around Reading (2 page plus others),
- Henley Regatta,
- Princess Christian at Eastbourne,
- The Hamilton Palace Sale,
- Sketches of Pictures in the Exhibition of the Royal Academy,
- Casino Municipal de la Ville de Nice,
- Royal Archaeological Institute at Carlisle,
- Yorkshire Agricultural Society at Halifax (2 page),
- Sketches of Carlisle and The Roman Wall (2 page),
- Sketches of Plymouth and Places Visited by the British Archaelogical Association,
- Great Diamonds of the World - Actual Size, Southhampton,
- The Australian Cricketeers (2 page),
- Preston Guild Festival (several),
- Sketches of a Diplomatic Visit to Corea,
- Cricket Match Australia,
- The Eira Arctic Expedition (several pages),
- Royal Sea Bathing Infirmary at Margate,
- Fresco Paintings Recently Discovered at Pompeii,
- International Boat Race from Putney to Mortlake,
- End of the Cricket Season,
- Final Search for the Remainder of the Jeannette Arctic Expedition in Siberia
- Sketches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia (2 page),
- Sketches in Tunis,
- New Sheriffs of London and Middlesex,
- Sunday Service in the North Sea Fishing Fleet (2 page),
- Sketches of the Floods at Twickenham,
- Sketches of the Flood at Canterbury,
- Sketches During the Gale at Lowestoft,
- Floods in the Tyrol,
- Sling the Monkey - A Sketch on Board HMS Inconstant,
- A Remarkable Trial for Libel,
- Guards at Buckingham Palace,
- Royal Review of Troops From Egypt (several),
- Poultry Show at the Crystal Palace,
- The Queen Addressing the Troops,
- View of Part of Max Gregers Cellars in Southwark,
- Opening of the Royal Courts of Justice (many),
- Destruction of the Alhambra Theatre,
- City of London School New Building,
- The Late Archbishop of Canterbury,
- Smithfield Cattle Show, etc.
- The War in Egypt are (many are 2 page size):
- Rioters at Alexandria,
- Arrival of the Khedive at Alexandria from Cairo, Bedouin Sketches,
- Birdseye View of Alexandria,
- Refugees Embarking at Alexandria,
- Training the Guns of HMS Sultan,
- Firing Rockets on Board HMS Monarch,
- Arabi Pasha, Navy Brigade Clearing the Streets of Alexander With the Gatling
- English and American Marines in Alexandria,
- Bombardment of Alexandria,
- The Flight of Europeans From Egypt,
- In the Commanders Cabin of HMS Alexandria,
- The Main Battery of HMS Alexandria,
- Explosion of a Shell Onboard,
- Commanding Officers for the War in Egypt,
- The Guards as Equipped for Service,
- Police Court,
- The Armoured Train,
- Naval Brigade Skirmishing in Front of the Ironclad Train,
- Death of Lieutenant Howard Vise,
- Reconnaissance at Kindji,
- Royal Marines Falling Back Under Heavy Fire, Scots Guards Marching,
- The Orient Steamship Entering the Suez Canal, Household Cavalry at Kassassin,
Battle of Tel-El-Kebir (several),
- Sketches of Teesdale and Rokeby,
- Procession of The Holy Carpet at Cairo (2 page plus others),
- Princess Emineh - Wife of the Khedive of Egypt (brown toned),
- New Lawyer Knights,
- Duke of Edinburgh and Madame Marie Boze Performing at a Concert,
- Home Made Toys,
- John Brinsmead & Sons Pianoforte Factories, etc.
- There are large b/w fold-outs: Battle of Tel-El-Kebir - 47" W x 16"
H Battle of Tel-El-Kebir - Over the Trenches - 33" W x 23-1/2",
- The War in Egypt - The Scots Guards at Westminster Bridge.The Rosetta Gate
of Alexandria. / The Moharrem Bey Gate of Alexandria.
The War in Egypt - Interior of the Lighthouse Fort at Alexandria.
Ruins of one side of the Grand Square in Alexandria.
The Rev. Charles Garret of Liverpool, President of the Wesleyan Conference.
Explosion of a shell on board H M S Alexandra, narow escape of Staff Commander
Places around Carlisle
The Yorkshire Agricultural Society at Halifax.
to other events
- The War in Egypt - The Armoured Train, Rear of the Train, With Gatling Gun
and an Outpost at Ramleh
Commanding Officers for the War in Egypt. ( 14 portraits.)
The War in Egypt - The Guards as equipped for service.
The country around Ramleh / The Kitchen of The Royal Marine / A Police court
The War in Egypt - Arrangement on board the Calabria for conveyance of Household
The Mahmoudieh Canal, near Alexandria,
Site of the magazine in Fort Ada, after bombardment.
Sketches of Carlisle and the Roman Wall: places visited by The Royal Archaeological
Cetewayo`s voyage and arrival in England.
The war in Egypt: The Armoured Train, Front, With the ….Feldt Gun.
to Other Events
- August 26th
On the look-out from the Pyramids of Egypt.
The Australian cricketers: Jones, Bannerman, Bonner, Spofforth, McArthy Blackham,
Palmer, Giffen, Garrett Massie, McDonnell, Murdoch, Boyle , Horan.
The War in Egypt: 4 sketches.
:The Parting: A boy soldier drummer boy saying farewell to mamma.
Egypt as it is: A Sakieh in Middle East.
The Reconnaissance in Force, Aug 5th Royal Marines under attack.
The War in Egypt. Artillery illustration.
Our Villeggiatura at Cockleton on the Ouze.
The British Association Congress at Southampton.
Southampton, the Western Shore.
The Great Diamonds of the World - shown in actual size.
Southampton, featuring the prominent features of the City centre, of which
several survive today.
Southampton Pier, with the Isle of Wight Steam boat.
- The War in Egypt - Dragging a forty pounder into position at Ramleh.
The armoured train on the railway near Alexandria.
Putting up temporary shops among the ruine in Alexandria.
Sailors riding donkeys at Port Said
Naval Brigade skirmishing in front of the Ironclad Train.
Ships of War at Port Said
Death of Lt Howard Vyse.
Sketches of Plymouth and places visited by The British Archaeological Association.Sketches
of Plymouth and places visited by The British Archaeological Association.
Further landmarks of Plymouth.
Reconnaissance in force at Kindji Osman, charge of the 60th Rifles
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid