Purchase a high resolution scan from this site - Price List
- (c) (copyright) 1995 - 2015 All of the text and images on this page are copyrighted
- some of the text and images are copyrighted by a third party and appear here
by their kind permission. Please do not reproduce any text or images without express
The Illustrated London News 1867
Picture: 1867 Lighthouses and buoys
- April 1st - The Paris International Exhibition was opened by Emperor
Napoleon III of Franceand Empress Eugénie. on Champs de Mars, and
demolished one year later
- Second Reform Bill passed in Britain
- Earthquake and Tsunami at St. Thomas
- Russia sells Alaska to the United States
- Walter Bagehot's The English Constitution was published
- Michael Faraday dies aged 76
- Prison van attacked in Manchester and Fenian leaders escaped
Index of Engravings from January 5th to July 29th
FRONTISPIECE, COLOURED PICTURE - A Brother’s Help, April 13,
Admiralty Works, St. Mary’s Isle,
“A Dream in Venice” (Scene from), at the Gallery of Illustration, 377
Albert Hall (The Royal) of Arts and Sciences, to be erected at Kensington, 493
Arrival of the Queen at the Site of, 509
Interior of, 516-517
Queen (The) Laying the First Stone of, 528-529
‘Trowel used by the Queen in Lay in the First Stone of, 50
Albert Memorial, The Manchester, 89
Statue of the late Prince Consort in the Centre of, 89
Middle Class College, Framlingham Suffolk, 488
Almsgiving on Maunday Thursday, at the Chapel Royal, Whitehall, 413
Alnwick Castle (Banquet at), on the Coming of Age of Lord Wsirkwnrth. 5i1
Athletic Games, Royal Military Academy Woolwich, 501
Atlantic Telegraph Medal, The, 318
Atlantic Yacht-race, The Henrietta, Winner of the, 17
Yachts (The) Parting Company at Sea, 20
Saluting her Majesty off Osborne House, 36
Australia, Scenes and Incidents in— Bas-reliefs on the Melbourne Monument of Burke and Willis, the Australian Explorers, 56
Salmon-Ponds at New Norfolk, 97 Intercolonial Exhibition at Melbourne, 216
Ball (Fancy Dress) at the Merchant Venturers’ Hall, BrIstol, 109
Given by the Hon. Artillery Company at the Armoury, Finsbury, 168
Given by the Prefect of the Seine, at the Hotel de Ville, 229
Banquet given to the American Yachtsmen at Cowes, 17
Barge (State) Of the King of Siam, 512
Battery gun (Gatling’s), adopted by the United States Army, 300
Bechuana Chief (A) of South Africa, 105
to be continued..........................................
A twelve page issue price fivepence.
It features articles with prints from engravings including
- 'Whom To Punish - A Schoolmasters Dilemma' (front page),
- 'Launch of The Great Republic Steam Ship at New York',
- 'Paris Fashions for the New Year',
- 'Travelling Between Vera Cruz and Mexico in the Neighbourhood of Rio Frio,
a place infamous for highway robberies and murders' (full page),
- 'The Italian Chamber of Deputies at Florence',
- 'Scene from Molieres Medecin Malgre Lui by J. Leman',
- 'The New Monkey in The Zoological Societys Gardens, Regents Park - A Jew
Monkey from Orinoco',
- 'A Days Ferreting in the Christmas Holidays',
- 'Capture of a Slave Dhow By The Boats of HMS Lyra on The
West Coast of Madagascar', 'HMS Lyra Disembarking Liberated Slaves at Port
- 'The Henrietta, Winner of The Atlantic Yacht Race', 'Banquet
Given to The American Yachtsmen at Cowes', 'The Atlantic Yacht Race:
The Yachts Parting Company at Sea - Henrietta - Vesta - Fleetwing' (full page),
- The Late Mr. Parkin Jeffcock, of Derby, Mining Engineer',
- 'The Fire at The Crystal Palace on Sunday Last: The Ruins as Seen from The
- 'Chess problem'
- Also articles (no engravings) icluding 'Foreign and Colonial News', 'Imperial
Parliament', 'Shipping Intelligence', 'Naval and Military Intelligence', 'Country
News', The Court', 'Epitome of News', 'Scientific News
- 'Obituary of Eminent Persons includes - The Rev. Lord
Adam Loftus of Magheraculmoney died at Ardess, Kish - William R. Robinson
Esq at 17 Hyde Park Terrace - Captain William Augustus Pulteney Dana at Geelong,
Victoria - Mrs Anne Gilbert better known in Literature as Anne Taylor of Ongar
- John Lechmere Esq of Ludford Park, Herefordshire, and Hill House, Steeple
- "The Spring Season In Covent Garden Market"
- "St. Philip's Church For The Kaffirs, Grahamstown, South Africa"
- "Mr. E.J. Eyre, Late Governor of Jamaica",
- "Port Stanley, Falkland Islands"
- "City Of Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand"
- "Scene From 'Lost In London', at the Adelphi Theatre"
- "The Floods At Windsor: The Great Western Railway Station as seen From Clewer Road"
- "The Paris International Exhibition"
- "Royal London Yacht Club Match: The Phryne Winning at Gravesend"
- "The King Of The Sandwich Islands Laying The Foundation Stone Of a Cathedral at Honolulu"
- "Steel Boat For the Expedition In Search of Dr. Livingstone"
- "Banquet at Alnwick Castle on the Coming of Age of Lord Warkworth"
- "Procession of School Children at Alnwick"
- "Statue Of The Late Lord Herbert In Pall-Mall"
- "Front Base Relief on the Pedestal of the Lord Herbert Statue"
- "Volunteer Review On The Wiltshire Downs, Near Salisbury"
- Large Engraving titled "Attempt To Shoot The Emperor Of Russia In The Bois De Boulogne: Seizure of the Assassin"
- "Building of the Kensington, Hammersmith, and Richmond Railway Bridge at Kew"
- "Landing of Lieutenant General Sir Patrick Grant, the New Governor Of Malta"
- "Presentation of Colours By Lady Airey, at Gibraltar, to the 83rd (County of Dublin) Regiment"
- "The Holborn Valley Viaduct, In Course Of Construction"
- "Conflict Between H.M.S. Cormorant and The Savages Of Formosa"
- "New Promenade Pier at Weston Super Mare"
- "The Late Sir Archibald Alison"
- "Volunteer Review In Windsor Park On Whit Monday: Charge of Yoemanry Lancers and Mounted Artillery
- "Lecturer, The Winner of the Ascot Cup"
- "Imperial and Royal Guests In The Gallerie Des Fetes at the Hotel De Ville, Paris"
- "The Tuileries Gardens on the Night Of The Ball Given to The Emperor of Russia and King Of Prussia"
- "Paris International Exhibition: Night Performance at the Chinese Theatre, In The Park"
- "Happiness In The Desert" by Carl Haag Society of Painters in Water Colours
- "Coronation of The King Of Hungary: Francis Joseph Lifting The Sword Of St. Stephen Before the Altar in the Church Of Buda"
- "Capture of an Arab Slave Dhow by H.M.S. Penguin off the Gulf of Aden"
- "The European Racecourse at Pekin"
- "Coronation of the King Of Hungary: His Majesty Brandishing The Sword on the Franz Joseph Platz at Pesth"
- "Coronation of The King Of Hungary: The King Swearing To Maintain The Constitution In Front of the Church at Pesth"
- "Summer Festival at the Earlswood Asylum For Idiots, Redhill"
32 pages with a large picture of Paris 10d
- The queen laying the foundation stone of the new hall of the Royal Albert orphan asylum at Bagshot
Front page illustration entitled "A Country Lane in Surrey" by F.W. Hulme.
A Country Lane in Surrey by F.W, Hulme and
Click here for the NEXT year of The Illustrated London News
Click here for the PREVIOUS year of The Illustrated London News
Click here to go to The Year Grid